Preparing of layers chick mash (1-4 weeks)
Chicks require feed with Digestible Crude Protein (DCP) of between 18 to 20 percent. Amino acids are important nutrients in all feeds in order to make a complete feed for all animals. For hybrid chickens, the addition of amino acids is very important to maintain a balanced diet for fast growth.
50 KG BAG OF CHICK MASH
| • 22.5kg of whole maize|
• 6.5kg of wheat bran,
• 5.0 kg of wheat pollard,
• 12 kg of sunflower (or 12 kg of linseed),
• 1.1 kg of fishmeal
• 1.25 kg of lime
• 30g of salt
• 20g of premix
| Amino acids to be added|
• 70g of tryptophan
• 3.0g of lysine
• 10g of methionine
• 70 g of threonine
• 50g of enzymes
• 60g of coccidiostat
• 50g of toxin binder
To make a 50 kg bag growers feed (1 to 8 weeks), it is very necessary that pullets or young layers should be provided with a feed having a protein content of between 16 and 18 percent. Such feed makes the pullet to grow fast and prepare for egg laying.
Preparing of layers mash ( 18 weeks and above )
Layers’ feed should never be fed to chickens younger than 18 weeks as it contains calcium that can damage their kidneys (they can develop kidney stones), which interfere with egg production and also shorten their lifespan. Grit (sand) should be provided to growers that are not on the free range to aid in digestion.
70 KG BAG LAYER MASH
| • 24.3kg of whole maize|
• 8.6kg of Soya
• 5.7kg of fishmeal
• 7.1kg of maize bran, rice germ or wheat bran
• 4.3 kg of lime
• 180g premix
|Amino acids to be added|
• 70g lysine
• 35g methionine
• 70kg threonine
• 35g tryptophan
• 50g toxin binder
Note: Layer feed should contain a Digestible Crude Protein (DCP) content of between 16-18 percent. Calcium is important for the formation of eggshells (Laying hens that do not get enough calcium will use the calcium stored in their own bone tissue to produce eggshells). Layer feed should be introduced at 18 weeks.
IMPORTANT TIPS :
- When making homemade feed rations, it is important to do experimental trials. Isolate a number of chickens, feed them and observing their performance. If the feed rations are right, the broilers will grow fast and the layers will increase egg production (at least 1 egg after every 27 hours).
- Farmers should be very careful with the quality of feed ingredients or raw materials. Poultry, especially chickens are very sensitive to feeds that contain mycotoxins which are present in most of the raw materials. Never use rotten maize to make chicken feed.
- Buy quality fishmeal from reputable companies. If Omena (silver cyprinid) is used the farmers must be sure of its quality; most of the Omena in the open-air markets may be contaminated.
- It is very important to mix all the micronutrients (amino acids) first before mixing with the rest of the feed.
- For mixing, farmers are advised to use a drum mixer (many welding artisans can make one). Never use a shovel to mix feed because the ingredients will be unevenly distributed.
- Never use rotten raw materials like maize to make feed. Rotten materials might contain mycotoxins which are detrimental to poultry health.
- Small scale families can contribute resources to the making of feed to ensure high-quality feed materials are used and also reduce costs.
Note: To improve on the feed quality, farmers making their own feeds should always have it tested to ensure the feed is well balanced.You can take your feed samples to agro-chemical industries for testing to ensure the feeds are balanced nutritionally.