Water is the most important nutrient for any living organisms and broilers are no exception. Here are few interesting facts about water requirement for broilers–
- Birds consume approximately 1.6 to 2.0 times more water than feed
- A bird can survive for many weeks without feed, but only a few short days without water
- 3 kg broiler will consume about 8.2 kg of water, compared to approximately 4.5 kg of feed
- Pesti and coworkers (1985) estimated the daily water consumption of broilers by multiplying the age of the bird in days by 5.7 grams.
- Modern breeds are demanding more water than yesteryears breeds
- In high performing flocks, at around 21˚C, modern broilers on average will consume 1.8 to 2 times more water than feed, in weight. Consumption is dependent on house temperature. In hot climates, flocks can consume up to 5 times in weight the amount of feed they intake.
- Water consumption increases by 6% for every increase in 1˚C between 20-32°C. Water consumption increases by 5% for every increase in 1˚C between 32-38°C. Feed consumption decreases by 1.23% for every increase in 1˚C above 20°C
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Very interesting information